Saturday, October 3, 2009

Concertina artworks

Last semester (semester one, 2009) I created a series of concertina books that each formed a portrait of one (or two) of my house mates. The drawings in each book explored not only images of the person, but of things and colours that I associated with them. 
You may be wondering, why concertina books? Good question, and there are a number of reasons. One of them was that I wanted to create something with a sequential narrative in it. Another is the interesting sculptural element that the books create - I originally displayed Mia with the pages tumbling out, suspended in mid air with the front fixed to the wall and the back resting on a table, and the dream sequence of Meg folds out in a spiral. The textiles dimension to the works is also a fun bonus for me, the choices of which tie in conceptually with the first two portraits.
This first one is of Mia, and is done using pencil and watercolour (the cover is cloth):









This second one is of Meg (using water colour pencils - the cover is a pair of old jeans I owned). Unfortunately though, I was working in pencils and the drawings have come up quite faint in these photos.









This video shows the progression of a third book, called, Ivy's leaving: a conversation in the kitchen, and is a dual portrait, recording a conversation between Ivy and Karis about two weeks before she moved out (drawn in conté crayons). The topic? her departure.


No comments:

Post a Comment